This contains UNCERTIFIED COPY for information/reference. For authentic copy, please refer to certified copy only. In case of any mistake, please bring it to our notice.
Tax Administration Laws Amendment Act, No. 16 of 2016
- amend the Income Tax Act, 1962, so as to provide for delegation of a power to disclose certain information; to remove an obligation to submit a return for a dividend derived from a tax free investment; to amend a Schedule to include a class of taxpayers as provisional taxpayers; to amend a definition so as to include taxable dividends; to further regulate the manner of prescribing an effective date; to further regulate the withholding of employees’ tax; and to effect textual amendments; [s1 to s14][NOTE: Long title fails to include that Act 2016_016_000_20170119 also amends Act 2014_044_019]
- amend the Customs and Excise Act, 1964, so as to narrow the scope of provisions relating to Special Economic Zones and to align terminology with terminology used in the Special Economic Zones Act, 2014; to broaden the scope of provisions relating to marking, tracking and tracing of tobacco products and to make certain changes relating to the maximum allowed weight of cigarettes for import or manufacturing; to align the prescription period for refunds to the general prescription period of three years; and to make changes to provisions relating to the payment and calculation of interest on outstanding amounts; [s15 to s22]
- amend the Value-Added Tax Act, 1991, so as to amend provisions to align with the Special Economic Zones Act, 2014; to amend provisions relating to acceptable documentary proof; to reinsert a prescription period; and to amend a Schedule; [s23 to s31]
- amend the Mineral and Petroleum Resources Royalty (Administration) Act, 2008, so as to provide greater alignment with the Fourth Schedule to the Income Tax Act, 1962; and to make technical corrections; [s32 to s46]
- amend the Tax Administration Act, 2011, so as to amend definitions; to specify payment of monies to the National Revenue Fund; to extend the term of office of the Tax Ombud; to provide for appointment of staff of the office of the Tax Ombud; to broaden the mandate of the Tax Ombud; to impose an obligation to provide reasons for not following non-binding recommendations by the Tax Ombud; to provide for disclosure of certain approved organisations; to extend the period for retention of records by SARS; to extend a period of limitation; to amend the provision for an additional assessment; to extend a period within which to apply for a condonation of a late objection; to amend the constitution of a tax court; to narrow the application of a provision; to add a definition and make provision for a penalty relating to an impermissible avoidance arrangement; and to amend the provision for voluntary disclosure of a default; [s47 to s65]
- amend the Customs Duty Act, 2014, so as to delete certain unnecessary provisions and to combine certain provisions for purposes of clarity; [s66 to s69]
- amend the Customs Control Act, 2014, so as to make certain technical corrections; to delete certain unnecessary provisions; to make changes to provisions relating to the submission of cross-border train departure reports; to provide for the transmission of electricity under the international transit procedure; to broaden a rule enabling provision to include rules relating to the treatment of detained counterfeit goods in state warehouses; and generally to make adjustments for the smoother implementation of that Act, and to provide for matters connected therewith. [s70 to s81]
Table of contents
Legislation Text Access Point
* LegalB refers to a "version" of an Act or its sections in the format "YYYY_NNN_SSS_YYYYMMDD", which refers to "YEAR OF ACT_ACT NUMBER_SECTION OF ACT_DATE OF GAZETTE", and where "DATE OF GAZETTE" refers to the "YEAR_MONTH_DAY" on the face of the Gazette in which either the Act was originally published or in which the amending, lapsing or repealing instrument was published. Where any segment of the reference string contains only zeros, it means that information is not relevant, not made available, or unavailable.
* Unbolded grey text in square brackets is additional information provided by LegalB.
* "..." indicates further information not provided by LegalB for purpose of brevity
* An Asterisk indicates uncertainty regarding information, and a double asterisk indicates information must be read in the light of our relevant Commentary.